Adventures from Alpha Road Allotment
This week, a frosty allotment harvest has resulted in lots of unexpected recipes being concocted. Today, I brought in my beetroot balls to defrost – a couple were grated and mixed with carrot, salt, pepper, toasted cumin seeds and a splash of red wine vinegar for a raw winter salad whilst the remainder were turned into a borscht served with crusty bread and feta cheese (recipe below)
There were many recipes for borscht online so, I combined lots of them as usual to make them fit with the ingredients I had available. The result was a meaty and healthy vegetarian supper, which even the kids enjoyed after a few protests at the start.
Beetroot Soup & Beans
- Fry 1 chopped onion with a crushed clove of garlic
- Put this mixture to one side
- Gently fry 2 sticks diced celery and 2 diced carrots for about 3 minutes
- Add 3 diced beetroots, a diced potato, some shredded red or green cabbage if you have some, if you have herbs add either dill, couple sprigs thyme etc about 1.5 litres of beef or veg stock and cook for up to 1 hour.
- Then add the onion and garlic, 1/2 squeezed lemon (or red wine vinegar), tin of red kidney beans and 1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes (can use fresh tomatoes here too) and cook for about 15 minutes
Serve with crusty bread, chopped parsley or dill if you have some (i didn’t), feta or soured cream
I’ll start to sow successional rows of beetroot from around mid March with some fleece over the top to give them a warmer start, will share photos then.
PS If you have a favourite borscht recipe I’d love to read it